Monday, April 23, 2012

Home made crackers

Lavosh crackers are not very cheap at the supermarket...

I had seen someone post a blog about these a couple of years ago and always meant to have a go... but never did until last night.

I was lent a lovely book called 'the free range cook' which is by Annabel Lanbein from New Zealand and had a recipe for Lavosh crackers. The recipe said to roll out thinly, however I remembered reading that it was possible to get them very thin using a pasta machine. I have one of those so put it into action.

Of course I had to try them straight away, and they were delicious! With a bit of homemade plum paste and some Brie they were spectacular.

Sesame and Lavosh Crackers
1cup plain flour
1/3 cup wholemeal flour
4Tbsp sesame seeds
1 dsp salt
1 tbsp finely chopped oregano or 1 tsp dried

1/4 cup olive oil
1tsp sesame oil
1/2cup water

Mix oils and water together and add to dry ingredients (I didn't need all the water) until it forms a sticky pliable dough.

Roll as thin as possible - I used a pasta machine to do this.
Cut into shape of crackers and carefully transfer to baking paper covered tray.
Brush crackers with oil and sprinkle with extra salt and bake at 170C for 15 mins or until golden brown.
Once cool store in an airtight container... but they won't last long.

Have a happy day xo

No comments: