Wednesday, May 2, 2012

another use for milk - cheese

My work has started getting milk delivered.

Problem is not everyone looks at the dates before they open the next bottle of milk...

Problem?

There were three unopened 2L bottles of milk at work today that were out of date...

So I thought I'd make cheese - Ricotta cheese is one of the most easy things to make in the world.

1. Put milk in a clean saucepan
2. Heat up to lukewarm
3. Put some lemon juice/vinegar - or as I tried tonight some junket or vegetarian rennet in the milk, stir then let the curds form (the white lumpy stuff in the photo below)
My experience is that with acids - like juice and vinegar - the curds are lumpy
With the rennet it formed a huge curd, which I then cut with a long knife into inch sized cubes and stirred while warm



4. use a slotted spoon to scoop the curds out into a colander (mine is one that was one that a large round of ricotta came in - so gets the perfect lines as seen in the next photo that is on the ricotta you purchase at the supermarket.)

5. Let it drain

6. If you want to you can use the whey for breadmaking, the yeast loves the protein in it.


 

I think Ricotta and spinach something is in order for dinner tomorrow night.

Have a Happy Day xo

No comments: