Wednesday, October 1, 2008

WOOD:WOOL:CLAY

This is our local art's centre, comprising 4 galleries, art teaching rooms, studios and a community radio upstairs. Last week was the opening of wood:wool:clay an exhibition of the local pottery woodwork and spinners and weavers.

Now I must confess. I was meant to have artwork in this exhibition, but completely forgot to take it in on the day it was supposed to arrive. Luckily I walked past the gallery during my lunch break on the day of the opening and so remembered to go.

These gorgeous shrugs are handspun and knitted by Yuriko. Shes a member of at least two of the groups and I think won the prize for the most exhibits. Aren't they gorgeous!



This is a spider web and it is knitted (the spider was needle felted.) It was amazing to see these be knitted at a recent meeting, although the display did cause some controversy, some people feeling it was a bit modern and something more traditional should be placed as the centrepiece of the exhibit. I loved it, and the way light was used cause gorgeous shadows on the wall.

I'll put my stuff in next years exhibition. Hopefully have some weaving by then too!

No comments: