Monday, September 26, 2011

Lots happening at the farm... all 1/8 of an acre of it :)


I am loving having a strong set of arms (belong to my husband) who is happy to dig holes, move heavy things and is currently installing my fence between the lawn area and the vege garden area. All the posts are in now, just need two more recycled hardwood rails - from my BIL who is renovating his and my sister's house and ripped out some walls.


I have been busy in the kitchen...




Sourdough english muffins for breakfast this morning...



Sundried tomato and olive sourdough loaf....


And exciting to be bottling the first produce entirely from the garden! 4 size 20 jars of yummy rhubarb. I was given the plants from a special friend who was killed in a freak car accident shortly afterward and they are very special to me. This year I divided most of the original plants and they are doing so well. I always make sure I leave two leaves and one baby leaf on each plant when I am picking it.


Sourdough loaf (you need starter from a friend or watch multitudes of youtube videos on how to grow your own.


Feed your starter with a flour/water mix the night before


Before work the next morning....

1 cup starter

1 cup water

1/2 tsp salt

1 tbsp sugar or honey (only if going to be a fruit loaf)

I put all these in a mixer with a dough hook and then add plain flour (mix of regular and wholemeal) until dough forms a lump and comes away from the sides.
Then place dough - still a bit sticky - in an oiled bowl and turn a few times to coat in oil (stops it drying out) Put the whole bowl in a plastic shopping bag and leave all day.


When you get home from work.

Tip dough (should have about doubled in size) onto well floured bench.


For a plain loaf - knead a minute or two then put in loaf tin


for a fruit loaf - knead a minute then use fingers to spread dough out into a rectangle. Sprinkle mixed fruit (I am using sultanas/raisings and dried plums at the moment) and 1 tsp mixed spice onto the bread, then fold it over and knead the fruit through a little. Place in loaf tin.


For a savoury loaf. Do the same but use sundried tomatoes and olives (no pits) chopped roughly and I use mixed italian herb sprinkle too. Place in loaf tin.


Leave for 1-2 hrs. (I have noticed that there is a warm spot just in front of my oven... not sure why, but tins go there while oven heats up)


Bake in a hot oven 200-220'c for 30-35 mins


Should pop out of tin straight away.


(loaves can also be made freeform on a pizza stone)


delicious toasted.... just had two slices of fruit toast to prove it.


Anyone have any other interesting sourdough recipes


Hannah xo





1 comment:

Autumn said...

I've always wanted to make English muffins!