Monday, October 13, 2008

What hasn't lost value

Looking at all the financial reports it's easy to become fearful, to retreat from community, to worry about the future.

At church on Sunday my pastor made a really great point. He said that this week (while his stocks were losing value) he made a list of all the things that hadn't lost value that week. Here's some of his list, and some of my own.

A life hasn't lost value this week.

The power of the cross and it's salvation hasn't lost value this week

Family hasn't lost value this week.

The importance of friendship hasn't lost value this week.

The encouraging power of a hug hasn't lost value this week.

The impact a thankyou card can have hasn't lost value this week.

The beauty of creation hasn't lost value this week.

The joy of eating a meal from my garden hasn't lost value this week.

Living a simpler life or living a life of faith means that you live according to a different economy than the one dictated by Wall St. I am affected by that one, but I am not rich or poor because of how much money is in my bank. I am rich when I have friends and family that I love and that love me. I am rich when I walk through my garden and pick food for a meal. I am rich because I can see the sunset, and swim in the ocean. These are the things that bring me peace and joy.
What for you hasn't lost value this week?

No comments: